Friday, January 25, 2008

Tennis Odds - Aussie Open - Men's final: Tsonga vs. Djokovic


Well, it's the Australian Open men's final that everyone was expecting: Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal wait, you mean it's the two players who vanquished tennis' two top guns instead?

Yes, on Sunday in Melbourne (Saturday night in the U.S.), it's third-seeded Novak Djokovic, who shocked world No. 1 Federer in straight sets in the semifinals, against unseeded, relative unknown Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who swept away Nadal in the semis, for the season's first Grand Slam title.

Which upset was more stunning? Was it Djokovic's, who handed Federer his first straight-sets loss since losing to Gustavo Kuerten in the 2004 French Open?

Maybe not, since the Serb is No. 3 in the world, after all, and the Aussie Open is his fourth straight Grand Slam semifinal.

Then it's likely Tsonga's rout of Nadal. The Frenchman came into Melbourne ranked 38th in the world, but I challenge you to find anyone outside of Bud Collins who knew of this guy. He has become a crowd favorite by doing a little jig after big points, and he doesn't expect his run to stop in the final.

"I will do my best on the court, so I know it's going to be difficult to beat me," said Tsonga, who also has beaten seeded players Andy Murray, Richard Gasquet and Mikhail Youzhny in this tournament.

"I saw him play against [Richard] Gasquet and I just loved the way he changed the pace of the ball up," former world No. 1 Pat Rafter said. "He did a lot of slow, sort of looping balls. I thought he could play from all court - baseline, at the net . big serve, big athlete, big kid."But these days, you never see anyone change the pace of the game. No one does the slice backhands or the loopy stuff any more, and he does that."

It's not as if Tsonga's rise is completely surprising - as junior, he won the 2003 U.S. Open (over Marcos Baghdatis) and finished the year ranked No. 2.

But injuries, especially a bulging disc in his back in 2005, slowed his rise into the pros.

"When I was treated for a herniated disc, that was the worst," said Tsonga, who some say resembles in style and looks a young Muhammad Ali. "Everything I did hurt, even the smallest thing. I cried the day I asked the doctor if I'd be able to play again, and he said, 'It will be tough.' "

After languishing above 200 in the rankings in 2005 and 2006, he began to fulfill his promise last year, ending up No. 43. He got into the 2007 Australia Open only through an exchange of wild cards between French and Australian officials. And now his first career final comes in a Grand Slam.

"I have a feeling that I'm made for the big matches on the big stadiums," Tsonga said. "That's where I'm at my best."

On Sunday, Djokovic and Tsonga will attempt to win their first Grand Slam title in their first career meeting. The last time two players attempted to win their first major was at the 2005 French Open when Nadal defeated Mariano Puerta.

Bet on this match at WagerWeb.com

No comments: