Thursday, January 31, 2008

Super Bowl XLII: Pats' Bruschi an inspiration


While you will hear players from both the Patriots and Giants say how glad they are to “be here” at Super Bowl XLII, you can bet no player is more happy to “be here” than New England linebacker Tedy Bruschi.

On Feb. 16, 2005, only 10 days after Bruschi's interception of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb helped seal a 24-21 New England victory in Super Bowl XXXIX and only three days after the lone Pro Bowl appearance of his 12-year career, Bruschi suffered a stroke, which severely impaired his vision and affected his motor skills.

"Before I could sit back and enjoy that win, I was fighting for my life," Bruschi said.

In May of that year, Bruschi acknowledged that he was uncertain he would ever play again (he had to relearn to walk after leaving the hospital), and in September 2005, Bruschi announced that he intended to return to the Patriots for the 2006 season. And then, on Oct. 16, only eight months after the stroke, he said he would come back for the remainder of the 2005 season.

Two weeks later, in a 21-16 victory over the Buffalo Bills, he recorded 10 tackles in his return performance.

"It sounds ludicrous to play football after a stroke," Bruschi said. "The sentence is just not used a lot."

”What we've done is sport, not real life," safety Rodney Harrison said. "What Tedy has accomplished is pretty much a miracle."

Win or lose, Bruschi will appreciate this Super Bowl more than any of the others.”I hold every Super Bowl with a special place in my heart," he continued. "But to help this team to get back to this point is sort of a victory for me in itself. I've been working with the American Stroke Association a lot and I know this is a victory for all stroke survivors. I realize the whole grasp of things I've been able to accomplish. People have told me about being an inspiration to them. I respect that and I am humbled by it. It's something I'm proud to call myself -- a stroke survivor. "Every day means a lot to me."

Despite leading New England in tackles for a second consecutive season, the soon-to-be 35-year-old may well retire on top after Sunday’s game.

Bruschi, who could cap his career with a title in the same state in which he starred in college (at Arizona), said he hasn't made a decision.

"I'm 34 years old. I'm in my 12th year. After every season, I sort of reassess things," said Bruschi. "I look at people who put it off to this offseason already. What they do is they sit back, they sort of reassess and make decisions with their families. That's what I'll do."

Bruschi still hears from fans who have been inspired by his courageous comeback or are going through a similar situation.

"Constantly," he said. "Letters, fan mail, e-mails. They tell me their story and how (mine) relates to them. My doctors tell me that their patients light up every time they tell somebody, 'This is the same thing Ted Bruschi went through. If he can get back to playing professional football, then you can be a normal, functioning human being also.' "

Bet on Super Bowl XLII at WagerWeb.com

No comments: