Thursday, November 15, 2007

NBA Odds - More drama for New York Knicks


As if the New York Knicks didn't have enough drama during the offseason - with, among other things, a sexual harassment trial - they have another situation that has taken over the New York tabloids.

Point guard Stephon Marbury left the team Tuesday morning in Phoenix after learning he wouldn't start Tuesday night. Marbury flew back to New York, skipping both the morning shootaround and a 113-102 loss to the Suns, and there is no word on when, or if, he might rejoin the team.

Then Marbury went off on Coach Isiah Thomas, reportedly saying: "Isiah has to start me. I've got so much (stuff) on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can (get) me. But I'll (get) him first. You have no idea what I know."

Thomas would only confirm Marbury had left and that the guard would be welcomed back.

"That is an in-house matter, and we'll continue to keep it in-house," Thomas said. "However, he is welcome back, and we want him as a member of this team."

Several reports, however, said Marbury said he had Thomas' permission to leave.

"I would never leave my team on my own," Marbury told The New York Post. "What I'm telling you is that I got permission to leave from Isiah. He said I could go home."

The Post reported that Marbury did not plan to join the team in Los Angeles for its game against the Clippers on Wednesday night.

Marbury's absence followed a story in Tuesday's New York Daily News indicating the Knicks were trying to reduce his role or get rid of him. Another report said there was a fight on the team flight on Monday, although whether it involved Marbury is unclear.

Marbury is scheduled to earn $42 million over the next two seasons, so a trade is unlikely.The Knicks, in the midst of a four-game West Coast trip, are +7.5 for Wednesday night's game at the Clippers.

CAN WADE SAVE HEAT? The Miami Heat are 1-6 after Tuesday night's loss to Charlotte and still without Dwyane Wade. In addition, Shaquille O'Neal is simply not his dominating self anymore. So is there any hope of a turnaround in Miami?

Well, maybe there's one player who could help.

"Me? Play. I guarantee you I should suit up. I'd play better than some of them right now," Coach Pat Riley said after Tuesday's loss. "I guarantee it. I swear to God. With an old hip and 62 years old and I can't see, I'll play better than some of my guys tonight. Come on, they were pretty bad."

OK, Riley was a good player, but it's safe bet he will stay on the bench. The player the Heat need is Wade, who is still working his way back from offseason surgery on his shoulder and knee.

And Miami sorely needs him, with the team averaging only 83.3 points through seven games, the lowest in the NBA.

"I am not saying I am going to be 100 percent when I come back," Wade said. "I am just waiting for the time that it feels good and that is the way I am. It is a matter of stiffness and getting my conditioning level back."

The three-time All-Star, who averaged 27.4 points last season, also added: "one person is not the savior."

Wade did have two workouts with the team on Tuesday, practicing with the starters and working in the rotation the Heat typically uses in games.

'He's getting close,' Riley said. ``I've seen him elevate his overall attitude and his approach in trying to get to another level.'

No one likely needs Wade more than Shaq, who is averaging a pedestrian 15 points and 7 rebounds in 31 minutes a night.

There's an outside chance Wade plays Wednesday night when the Heat actually will be favored on WagerWeb.com, as they host the winless Sonics.

Bet on the NBA at WagerWeb.com

No comments: