Monday, May 26, 2008

Boxing odds: Hatton vs. Lazcano


England's Ricky Hatton puts his world junior welterweight title on the line against Juan Lazcano in Manchester on Saturday night, yet Hatton already seems focused on what lies ahead.

Perhaps that's because Lazcano's best work has come at lightweight. Lazcano was a lightweight for most of his career and has boxed at junior welterweight for the past three years.

In his most recent bout 15 months ago, Lazcano lost by a close but unanimous points decision to Vivian Harris, who went on to lose to Junior Witter.

So Hatton is already dreaming of what may lie ahead: If he beats Lazcano, Hatton will face Paulie Malignaggi later this year. If he is successful in that bout, Hatton hopes to engage Floyd Mayweather in a rematch of a loss five months ago next year in London.

Malignaggi defends his IBF belt on the undercard Saturday against Lovemore N'dou.

Hatton's father, Ray, says Lazcano, a 33-year-old Mexican, is a far tougher challenge than he is being given credit for.

"He does come to fight. He's very dangerous," Ray Hatton said. "A lot of the (American) pundits think that for his comeback fight he (Hatton) has picked too hard an opponent."Hatton believes that he has improved since his first career loss, against Mayweather. It is Hatton's only defeat, albeit a lopsided one, in his 44-fight career.

"People forget that although I lost to Mayweather I didn't lose my status as the number one at 140 lbs," he said. "I lost challenging for another title. Now I'm determined to get back to winning ways. . I'm still the light-welterweight champion of the world."

Lazcano, with four defeats in 42 contests, certainly won't have many of the 55,000 fans on his side Saturday at Manchester Stadium.

Lazcano has never won a major world title, coming up short in 2004 against Jose Luis Castillo for the WBC lightweight title. In 2006, he had the opportunity of facing Hatton, but did not even start negotiations because of a sore hand. "That was a mistake," he reflects now. |

"But everything is for a reason, and I do feel it is the right time. I have lost before and I know what it takes to come back. Ricky Hatton - who I rate as a great fighter and Mexican in his style - has yet to climb that mountain."

Lazcano had reeled off four straight wins before dropping that contested verdict to Harris.

"I believe I've got what it takes to win no matter who I fight - Ricky, Floyd Mayweather or Oscar De La Hoya," added Lazcano. "I've had a great training camp and I'm ready.

"I'm expecting the best Ricky Hatton in the ring on Saturday night. I can't speculate on how he's going to react to defeat, or if he's past his best. I'm ready to get the victory, and that's the bottom line."

No comments: