Tuesday, February 26, 2008

NHL Odds: Isle’s Chris Simon returns


The New York Islanders enter Thursday night's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning sitting in 10th in the Eastern Conference but only three points from sixth.

And New York will get a boost in a push for a playoff spot with the return of enforcer Chris Simon tonight.

Simon is eligible to return from his record 30-game NHL suspension for stepping on Pittsburgh's Jarkko Ruutu with his skate blade earlier this season. After undergoing counseling, Simon said he must balance his enforcer role with respect for the rules.

"I missed being around the guys and the team," Simon said. "I'm ready to get back out there and help the team. I’ve learned from my mistakes, and the league did what they had to do, and I accept it. I'm going to try and be the best I can be when I come back. What happened in the past is always going to be there, but I look to now and getting ready (to
play). "

That’s not to say he will change his physical style on the ice.

"When you have a player that can bring what I bring to the table, those things don't happen a lot," said Simon, who has a goal, two assists and 41 penalty minutes in 26 games. "The guys know I have their back 100 percent, and I know what my job is out there."

Isles coach Ted Nolan said he was likely to put Simon right into the lineup.

"If it means putting Chris Simon in the lineup to make us better, we'll do it," Nolan said. "Teams have no fear to play against us, so, we have to have that certain element in."

"He's going to have to continue to play an aggressive style. You don’t want to do anything that's going to jeopardize yourself or your organization, but you want him to play aggressive and hard."The Islanders odds are +230 for tonight's game against the Lightning on WagerWeb.com

AVALANCHE GETTING HEALTHY: Another team currently on the outside of the playoffs looking in is the Colorado Avalanche. With Peter Forsberg not looking like he will ride in to save the Avalanche's season, at least Colorado is getting healthy.

Star center Joe Sakic is close to returning from a hernia. Sakic had his first full practice Tuesday with the Avs since late December. Sakic should play before the team's road trip ends next Wednesday at Vancouver, coach Joel Quenneville said.

Sakic's return can't come soon enough for a team that has lost a season-high five straight, scoring five goals in the process.

"Every day, it's getting a little closer," Sakic said. "I'm not sure it's day to day for me yet, but hopefully I’ll be playing at some point in the trip. Right now, things are feeling good and it’s just a matter of getting the conditioning in and making sure it's all set to go."

Sakic, who has seven goals and 15 assists in 24 games this season, is targeting Sunday's game in Edmonton. He hasn't played since Nov. 30.

Meanwhile, Avalanche leading scorer Paul Stastny (17 goals, 32 assists), out with a groin pull, is closer to returning than Sakic.

He has missed the past 14 games after suffering a groin injury while trying to return from an appendectomy. (NHL injury report)

"I've been pushing it more and every day, I've felt better and better," he said. "I wouldn't be going on the road trip if I didn't think I'd play, so I’m pretty optimistic to be playing. Once I'm 100 percent I'll be ready to go."

Statsny is hoping to play Friday at Phoenix.

No comments: