Monday, June 16, 2008

College basketball odds: Caracter in or out at Louisville?


OK, this much we know for certain: Louisville forward Derrick Caracter, once one of the country's top recruits, is having academic problems at the school.

The question is, however: Is he still at Louisville? That depends on whom you ask.

Cardinals coach Rick Pitino has said grades were the final straw and that Caracter had been declared academically ineligible, making it all but impossible for him to return.

"He has too many obstacles to overcome," Pitino said. "The best thing for him would be to go to a different place."

Caractger, a 6-foot-8 junior to be, averaged just 8.3 points last year and only played five minutes in the Cards' Elite Eight loss to North Carolina. He had been suspended several times during his time at Louisville.

In fact, Pitino gave senior Will Scott the scholarship vacated by Derrick Caracter. Scott, a guard, has been a walk-on the past two seasons.

Caracter is still in Louisville trying to become academically eligible so that he can transfer to another school, Pitino said, but added that the possibility of his returning to U of L is a "dead issue."Yet Caracter said that he still wants to play for Louisville with fellow juniors Earl Clark, Jerry Smith and Edgar Sosa next season. The Cardinals are expected to be a top 5 preseason team.

Caracter said he was enrolled in summer school and taking two classes this session.

"I'm already eligible," he said. "This is where I want to be. This is where I want to play. I took my name out of the (National Basketball Association) draft because I want to play here. I don't want to transfer.

"I'm going to talk to coach (Pitino) at the end of the month. I don't want to be anywhere else."

Yet Pitino seems resolute, saying Caracter would have to transfer to another school if he wants to keep playing in college.

"I was hoping he would try the pros," Pitino said. "That's all he talked about all year. I told him to go to Orlando (pre-draft camp). I don't know why he wouldn't go there. It's crazy."

Bet on Louisville and NCAA futures soon at WagerWeb.com

No comments: